BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday 5 September 2008

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

Thanks to Movies.ie, I was lucky enough to attend the premiere of this film last night. Having been assured that 'a premiere in the Savoy won't be that dressy', I was aghast to see all the suits and fancy dresses that adorned fellow cinema goers!

I'm not even going to attempt to review this film, I don't think any words I have could do it justice. Lottie does a fantastic job of that here , also Darren here

It was amazing, one of the best films I've seen in a long time. Having read, and loved, the book, I was quite apprehensive as to how they would transfer it onto screen, but I needn't have worried. While I feel that some of Bruno's innocence was lost in the adaptation (in the book, his confusion with names [Out-With instead of Aushwitz etc] can be endearing), I still think that the best job that could be done, was done.

For anyone who hasn't read the book, read it as soon as you can, because, as good as the film was, the book is still far better!

2 comments:

Darragh said...

You know, since seeing this movie I find that certain scenes have stayed in my mind. I was listening to a radio interview where the two young reviewers commented that you'd have to know something about the holocaust to really understand it, and what a great way to help a child understand the true horror of the real situation that happened to so many other children.

I think I'll go see it again.

Daily Daydreamer said...

I want to see it again too. I think when I watched it the first time, I was trying to compare it to the book, and not watching it as a film in it's own right.

I agree with the comments by the reviewers, and I've actually read it in a few places. It's taken for granted that you know what the Holocaust is, there is no explanation given.